Thursday, May 31, 2012

The warmth of a welcome


Over the last several weeks I have received many warm welcomes.  These welcomes took place in three different countries, and so were structured differently, but each one made me feel like people were glad to see me. There were a few contexts for these locations. I went to the States for my boyfriend’s and my brother’s graduation from NNU, and was there for about six days. After that, I went to Sighișoara, Romania, and visited my host family (from when I was there in 2009), the churches, and many friends. After a week in Romania, I came back to Razgrad, Bulgaria. 

Read on if you’d like to hear about these welcomes.


In the States, I was really looking forward to seeing my boyfriend and seeing my family after being in Bulgaria for six months. It’s possible to keep in touch, but it’s harder long-distance. I was also looking forward to seeing other friends at NNU, in Nampa, and at Valley Shepherd (my church). I wasn’t sure how excited people would be to see me, because I’m just another person, and I’ve not personally kept in touch with many people while I’ve been in Bulgaria because I’ve been focusing on living here instead of trying to be in two places at once. However, the welcomes I received surprised me. Many people gave me huge hugs, told me they were happy to see me, and they had missed me. Those who welcomed me were not only people who had been close friends of mine, but many people such as professors, former classmates,  friends, and church family. It was wonderful to be welcomed so warmly!

After about six days in Nampa, I traveled to Romania. I did not know how I was going to travel to Sighișoara, but I met Dorothy Tarrant at the airport (she was meeting students who were coming to Sighișoara for two weeks), and rode with her and the students to Sighișoara. She was welcoming, as were the other students (even though they were jet-lagged!) When I arrived in Sighișoara, I was unsure as to how my Romanian family would receive me. After all, we had not kept in close contact, and it had been two and a half years since I had left Romania. But yet again, I was welcomed with open arms. My Romanian mamma said “Welcome home Debbie!” and greeted me with a warm smile and hug. My Romanian sisters were happy to see me, and were glad I was there. Even my Romanian nieces, who were little when I left, remembered me and gave me big hugs when they saw me. When I went to the Veritas Family Center and saw the staff there, who I worked with in 2009, they greeted me warmly and were happily surprised to see me. One of my friends, David, gave me a huge bear hug, and was so excited to see me. We were soon laughing about memories and swapping stories. When I went to church on Sunday, I was greeted with hugs and kisses (on the cheek) from people who were excited to see me. What a blessing it was to know God has touched others through my life. It was amazing to be back in Romania for a week. I fit in like I was family. 

After my week in Romania sped by, I came back to Razgrad, Bulgaria. On the way from Sighișoara to Razgrad, I spent a few hours in Bucharest, Romania. I was able to sit and share a cup of tea with Tamara Hudson, a missionary in Romania. Her family was very welcoming to me, and opened their home to me both on my travel to the States and on my travel back to Razgrad. Once I arrived home in Razgrad, I was treated to a delicious meal made by my teammates, complete with brownies and ice cream for dessert, and a beautiful bouquet of flowers in my room to welcome me home. My teammates gave me a warm welcome home. On Sunday, at Razgrad Naz, every one that saw me told me “welcome!” and gave me a smile. It was a great feeling to have people welcome me back home!

In all these places and circumstances, people reached out and welcomed me. All these welcomes made me think of a few verses in First Peter chapter 1. After listing out qualities that Christians are supposed to have and grow in, Peter writes that “if you do these things, … you will receive a rich welcome into the eternal kingdom of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ.” It is wonderful to have people welcome me here on earth, and I can tell God has used me to touch these people’s lives, even if in a small way. Think, if that is how we are welcomed on earth if we live for God, how much greater it will be in heaven if we continue to pursue a Christ-like life!

No comments:

Post a Comment